TONGE of Bolton : References to John son of Elias de Tong, and
Alexander de Tong of Pleasington, his brother, from VCH published on http://www.british-history.ac.uk/
A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6
William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)
1911 Pages 266-269
Plesinton, 1208, xiii cent.; Plessington, Plesyngton, xiii-xvii cent.
The Hoghton family acquired lands here in the time of Henry III. Elias de
Pleasington permitted Adam de Hoghton to establish a mill dam on his bank of
the River Derwent, and Henry son of Elias de Pleasington gave lands 'between
Pleasington and Hoghton' to the same Adam. The water-mill of Pleasington above
named with a capital messuage was given by
John son of Elias de Tong in 1328 to
his brother Alexander in marriage with Alice daughter of John de Hoghton.
(fn. 34) Their descendant Katherine Tong, wife of John Seed of Ribchester,
gave the estate in 1426–7 to William Seed, and in 1457–8 Thomas Seed of
Pleasington gave his lands and mill to Richard Hoghton, kt. (fn. 35) Included
in the settlement of his estates made by James Livesey of Livesey in 1618 were
the water-mill called 'Seed mylne,' formerly known as 'Tong
mylne,' part of the 'mylne field,' and certain mosses or turbary lying
in Tickle Moss. (fn. 36)
34 Dods. MSS. lxx, fol. 160; cxlii, fol. 23; Kuerden MS. (Chet. Lib.), fol.
397, no. 148.
35 Dods. MSS. cxlii, fol. 39b–40, 144b. One third of Thomas Seed's estates in
Pleasington, Livesey and Bolton-le-Moors was awarded to George Clayton in
1478; another third part, which had descended to Thomas Sharples, was awarded
to his son Gerard Sharples (Add. MS. 32109, 88), who afterwards assigned his
third part to George Clayton; Kuerden fol. MS. (Chet. Coll.), 388. It passed
to the Southworths and from them to the Liveseys.
36 Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 279.
Tokolles, xii cent.; Tocholles, Thocholes, Tokholes, xiii-xvi cent.
Adam de Tockholes held the other moiety in 1246, in which year he and his
brothers Geoffrey and Elias, or 'Ekke,' were each amerced 2 marks at Lancaster
assizes for receiving those who had burned Staining Grange. (fn. 6) His
successor, another Adam living in 1277, withdrew a plea in 1292, touching a
tenement here, against Henry son of Henry de Whalley. In 1296 another Adam
succeeded and soon after joined with John de Pleasington in granting land here
called Hulkar to John de Tonge,
and in 1311 they were jointly returned as holding Tockholes in thegnage for
2s. rent and doing suit at the three weeks court of Clitheroe. (fn. 7)
7 De Lacy Comp. (Chet. Soc.), 14. John
de Tong gave Hulkar to Geoffrey de Cuerdale; it was described as lying
beside Ernesdene Brook and bounded by Ryhil ditch; right of way was given to
the common pasture of Cartelache; Norris D. (B.M.), 941–3; Lancs. Inq. and
Extents (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 11.