|1670||First record of original building in 1672|
|1710||Move from old building to current in 1715|
|1720||Earliest record of burial on gravestone 1717|
Hardman leaves bequest 1729
|1770||Earliest surviving register of baptisms starts 1769|
|1780||Earliest surviving register of burials starts 1787|
BAPTISMSThe original registers for the period November 1769 to December 1837 are in the Public Record Office. This transcription has been made from the microfilm of these registers, plus such original material as still remains in the custody of the Chapel, kindly made available by Mr K Brooks, and from information deduced by personal investigation.
The references for the registers at the PRO are as follows:
RG 4/2311 Baptisms 1769 - 1776
RG 4/2312 Baptisms 1776 - 1780
RG 4/1015 Baptisms 1785 - 1830 [ST also Burials 1787 to 1830]
RG 4/1195 Baptisms 1780 - 1790 & 1831 - 1837 [ST also Burials 1781 - 1837]
[ST: The baptism and burial registers are available to search and view on line for a fee at http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/ and http://www.ancestry.co.uk/]
BURIALSThe Unitarian Chapel at Ainsworth has two graveyards; an "old" yard within which the chapel was built, and a "new" yard situated to the south side of the old yard and separated from it by a narrow lane,
The "new" yard was brought into use in 1900. However, burials continued in the old yard well into this century and the last was Marion Hayes in 16th Dec. 1960 in grave number 299.
This transcript covers the old graveyard ONLY. A plan of this yard is included herein. Both yards are well tended and it is considered that a fuller listing of deaths / burials from 1900 onward, including the new graveyard, can be carried out in future years.
Mr James T. Whitehead followed his father as Minister of the Chapel in March 1859 and seems to have been aware that the Registers had not been kept up to date for the entries of births from 1848 to the time of his ministry are in his handwriting.
He also instituted the Grave Record Book and in it noted all 'registered' burials prior to 1859. As with many innovations, the Grave Record Book was well kept for a number of years (1859 - 1863) and then fell into disuse, particularly insofar as the graves from No.477 upwards are concerned.
Fortunately the memorial inscriptions for most of these graves gives the necessary information for compilation of burial records, including interments as early as 1717.
The original registers from the commencement of the eighteenth century to December 1937 are in the Public Record Office (see Vol 1) and this transcription has been made from the microfilm of these registers plus information deduced by personal investigation with the aid of the Grave Record Book,